Sunday, February 1, 2009

Being irresponsible, getting puke on my clothes




I'm not a drunk, I promise. My son is - Aedan. I've always thought it funny how when babies are tired and nursing that they act as if they are drugged, and either fall asleep seemingly against their will, or lay there with a silly, happy, dazed look. Aedan does this, kind of, and is a very happy "drunk." But he is incapable of holding his liquor, er, milk. He pukes, lots. You'd think he would be one of those failure to thrive babies with how much he isn't keeping down, but no, he's a very happy chunkers. I was so looking forward to solid foods - all the other kids (my babies being large) were so hungry that they readily ate baby cereal/foods introduced after 4 months. Aedan hated cereal. I couldn't get him to eat more than a few tiny bites before it all came back at me, and he refused any more. So after about two weeks of that, I attempted squash, my nemesis from childhood, but usually a baby favorite. He loved it, and ate all I gave him. Ok, so only a teaspoon to check for allergic reactions.

The next day I gave him the whole jar, and he loved it. It was a big mistake, and I'll spare you the details. I waited a week, and his reaction to peas was even worse. So, no solids, not yet. He nurses almost every two hours around the clock, and during a growth spurt was nearing every hour for 3 nights in a row. But I can't help it, when he smiles and laughs and gurgles, it's worth it.


I had a lot on my mind today, being Sunday, and I try to think about things I've done during the week, how I can do better, and on being thankful for my blessings. I turned on the news, as is my very bad daily habit, just to see if the world was all still there. It was, unfortunately, and some silly senators were blah, blah, blah..... I tuned out, but the ticker at the bottom of the screen caught my eye and I had to rewind the tv. (DVR, I love it!) I wasn't sure if I had understood correctly, and so I had to read it again. What I read disturbed me, and I looked up the info this evening to verify what was reported. Here's what I found in the Times, of London.


Couples who have more than two children are being “irresponsible” by creating an unbearable burden on the environment, the British government’s green adviser has warned. Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the government’s Sustainable Development Commission, says curbing population growth through contraception and abortion must be at the heart of policies to fight global warming.


That's about what the ticker said, too. So I went to church with my - large - wiggly little family, thinking about this poor Mr. Porritt, and what I would like to say to him. I sat in Sacrament Meeting (our main worship service) listening to members of the congregation bear testimony of the gospel, and I thought about how a loving Father in Heaven made this Earth so wonderful and beautiful, so that his children would have a home and so many things to discover and learn about. That we should care for this precious planet, and be good stewards to the best of our ability. But that the purpose of life is to learn and gain experiences to take back with us when our brief time on Earth is over. And there is no better place to learn and grow than in your family. The one you grew up in, and the one that you create.



I studied the wrong Sunday School lesson, and was reading about being more concerned with the things of men than with the things of God. I thought of the Proclamation to the Family, which tells all the earth that the counsel given to Adam and Eve in the Garden to multiply is still in full effect. I thought about all of the people frantically ripping out their kitchens or floors on HGTV to put in "Eco" friendly stuff (absurdly wasteful if you ask me). I felt a little guilty about all those I know raising babies using reusable diapers. Briefly, that is. I can't wait to have our own home and to garden and grow fruit trees and have barrels to catch rain water and to have a recycling bin again (I am in withdrawal). And to live close enough to Ethan's work and the kids school that we both could walk, and continue to have just one car.


Ethan took Aedan with him for the 3rd hour of church, and I sat in Relief Society, thinking about Jonathon Porritt, and how my four children actually use less resources than many people with one child. How they live and laugh and love, and will live in a completely different world than I did, or than their grandparents. How they fill my life with joy, and touch the lives of those around them. I though about my husband, Ethan, and how hard he has worked to take care of us, and how much more responsible human beings we are than we ever used to be... and I laughed, because according to Mr. Porritt I'm being irresponsible and selfish for wanting just one more "carbon foot-print." Then my wonderful husband poked his head into the room and whispered that Aedan was starting to spit-up again, and trying to fill his pants. (Which for some reason is easier when Mommy holds him?) I laughed, Ethan Sr. is so squeamish sometimes. I took the baby from him and returned to my seat, just in time for Aedan to burp, get the attention of several rows of sisters, and chuck all over my dress. He grinned and giggled. Being irresponsible is soooo worth it.



1 comment:

  1. Sara...Mikkele did the same spit up thing. Projectile and everything. The good news is that she grew out of it all of a sudden one day at about 7 months. This is about when the dr. told me she would stop as well. So maybe, hopefully he'll be growing out of it again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete